As you may already know, that my husband is Italian and Italians need their pasta. Where I came from Pasta was cooked with heavy cream and more than enough cheese. Growing up, Pasta is not my favorite dish because of this, so I never learned how to do it.
When I first came to Italy, my mother in law made us a simple pasta for lunch. Basically, it is only spaghetti with broccoli, but it was the best pasta I have ever had in my whole life! During our trip, for sure I tried a lot of different pasta and I am in love with it. It wasn’t the creamy and cheesy pasta I had back in my home country that leaves me feeling sick with its heaviness. Their pasta is very light and simple yet very tasty.
After that experience, I learn how to make Italian Pasta Recipes and fortunately, my husband likes it. I mean, an Italian like my recipe then it shouldn’t be so bad right?
Talk about Zucchini, not until I met my husband that I developed a fondness for this amazing food. Apparently, Zucchini is well known to reduce weight. It is rich with vitamin A and vitamin C, Carbohydrates, Protein, and Fiber. Check out the nutrition facts and health benefits of zucchini.
There are many articles about benefits of zucchini for your health, but most importantly it tastes so good!
Without further ado, Here is the recipe:
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2-4 Zucchinis (depend on the size)
- 1 Broccoli
- 500 gr pasta
- 3-4 cloves of Garlic (Minced)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- A small block of butter (around 30 grams)
- 4-6 Sliced lemon (optional)
- Fresh Basil (chopped)
- Water to boil
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Use vegan butter if you are vegan.
- I preferred Penne, farfalle or any kind of short pasta. However, this recipe is applicable also for long pasta such as Spaghetti, Fettucine, etc.
- Cut the zucchini to a sizeable chunk (refer to picture), to avoid it to lose its shape and became too mushy.
- Clean and cut the broccoli into mouth size florets
- Boil Water and add a generous amount of salt into the water.
- Add broccoli into the boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then take it out and dry it.
- Add the pasta into the boiling water cook according to the package instructions. Once it’s ready, drain the water and set it aside.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add olive oil and minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds or until the garlic turns golden.
- Add the zucchini. Give them a good stir until the zucchini turns light gold.
- Add broccoli into the pan and continue to stir for another 1-2 minutes.
- Seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the zucchini and broccoli are tender, Add butter. The Butter will make a bit of the sauce creamy
- Put the pasta into the pan and mixed it well.
- To serve, Add some lemon juice and garnish with chopped basil and Parmesan Cheese.